Thursday, September 10, 2020

An "Egg"cellent Lunch

One thing about working from home is that it's easier to have variety for lunch.  When I was working from the office, I would pack my lunch each day, and it usually consisted of a pb/j on frozen gluten free bread and a bowl of something salty/crunchy.  Or maybe leftovers from dinner two days ago.  Or the emergency can of soup from my desk drawer if I was running late.

But working from home means I have not only time, but access to the kitchen, so I don't have to necessarily plan ahead nor have to make my midday meal portable.  A fresh salad, a grilled cheese sandwich, a grilled hot dog or burger.  And today, I had Egg Salad.

I love egg salad, and I just about got the egg boiling process to near perfection.  And then I gave my egg pot to my older son when he moved into his own apartment.  But cue the arrival of the Instant Pot.  After my successful water cook of yesterday, I was ready to try hard-cooked eggs.  So during my mid-morning break, I set up the Instant Pot and re-read the instructions I found online for eggs.  I got an accessory kit to go with the Instant Pot so I would have an egg stand for it. I preloaded the inner pot with the egg stand, added 1 cup of water and gently placed 7 eggs, one in each circle.  Lid on, secured and locked, seal checked, vent checked, plugged in, set the time for 6 minutes, and waited.  About 15 minutes, the beeper sounded, time to QR the pressure, and move the eggs to an ice bath for a minute.

I don't know if it's about how well cooked the eggs were, or maybe the ice bath was just the right temperature, but I have never had hard-cooked eggs peel so easily.  And the whites and yolks were exactly how I like them, each evenly cooked, none over-done.

I put the eggs in a new Pyrex covered bowl I recently bought to replace some of the other things that found their way to apartment(s), used my Pampered Chef pastry blender to chop the eggs, and then dressed them with a dollop of Kraft mayo, a few squeezes of Publix yellow mustard, and several heaping spoonfuls of Vlasic dill relish.  Then let it rest in the frig until lunch; so fresh and delicious!

No comments: