Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Instant Pot for Beginners, by a beginner

My sister-in-law uses her Instant Pot several days a week, and while visiting over the Labor Day weekend, she used it every day.  Dried beans one night, boiled eggs the next morning, rice to go with grilled fish for dinner, and a beautifully creamy potato soup for lunch.  When we've visited in the past, I've watched her use it from afar; it was too scary to me when it was time to release the pressure.  But this weekend, after watching the variety of uses, and tasting the easily prepared foods, I decided it was time to add this kitchenware to our collection.  

Our boys have both moved out of the house in the past eight weeks, taking several of our dishes, pots and pans, and small appliances with them, so we actually have room for a new addition.  I ordered it during the car ride home Monday afternoon, and then requested several Instant Pot books from the library.  The mail person delivered the pot and DH picked up the books from the library today.

So late this afternoon, I pulled the device out of the box and read every word in the instructions and the safety guide, checked out all the pieces and parts, and set it up on the counter with plenty of space around it (just in case, you know?).  I read through one of the library books that covered the basics and made recommendations for foods to try as a beginner.

The instruction book and the library book both suggested the first recipe to be 3 cups of water.  That way you learn how to use the machine, what the basic buttons do, and how to release the vent (apparently referred to as QRing - or Quick Releasing - as opposed to NR - natural release of the pressure that's built up).  And you don't have to worry about exploding eggs or burned chicken.

There are many blogs and websites dedicated to cooking in an Instant Pot, and I am glad someone else has done the trial and error. I'm looking forward to trying out a few things and hopefully simplifying my meal planning / food prep for the week.

Now that I've mastered cooking water, I think I'll try eggs tomorrow.  The concensus seems to be 1 c. water, 6 eggs placed gently on the insert, and on high pressure for 3 - 7 minutes depending on how runny or hard you like your eggs.  QR the pressure, put the eggs into an ice bath, then peel.  If it goes okay, we'll be having egg salad by lunch!  If it doesn't, ours will be the house with the windows wide open and the sulphur smell wafting.

No comments: