Sunday, March 14, 2010

A letter about the letter - or You'll get your Census next week

Last week, I received an official envelope in the mail with 2010 Census printed in bold letters. The 2010 Census was here! I set it aside so I could complete it along with my usual weekly paperwork.

I showed the envelope to my son and we talked about how important it is to participate in the census. He will be doing several activities at school revolving around the census, so I wanted him to know that our family will be doing our part.

I carefully opened the envelope, slipped out the paper, and began to read. To my dismay, I found that it wasn't the census after all; it was a letter telling me to watch the mail for the Census that would be arriving some time in the next week.

Groan! I know that it's important to get the word out that the census is coming and I get that it's important to get as much participation as possible, but did they really have to send me a letter to tell me to look for another letter / envelope?

It's like at work sometimes when we have a meeting coming up. We'll have a pre-meeting, or as my middle schooler likes to say, "a meeting about the meeting."

In this case, we got a letter about the letter.

Wonder how much that cost?

2 comments:

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tricia said...

Today's Sheldon is census-relevant:
http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/100319.html

(In case you're not familiar with the comic, Sheldon is a child software billionaire, he lives with his Gramps, he has a talking duck named Arthur [Sheldon downloaded the encyclopedia into Arthur's brain and then he started talking], the lizard (Flaco) hatched out of an egg that the duck sat on so Arthur considers himself Flaco's dad, and the dog (Oso) is just a normal pet - well, as normal as a pug can be. You might need to know all that for the comic to be funny...)