Saturday, July 26, 2014

Cake

My friend reminded me last week that I would never be able to have the Coca-cola Cake that the Cracker Barrel makes. While that's true, I have a recipe from the side of an old Betty Crocker's Devils Food cake mix that I've made occasionally.

I bought a gluten free cake mix this week so I tried the recipe today. It turned out pretty well. Definitely not the same as a regular one, but if you picked this dessert off a buffet with no preconceived idea of how it would taste, you would not be disappointed.

To make it, I followed the directions on the package except I substituted 1 cup Pepsi for the 1 cup of water.  While the cake baked, I made the icing.  In a small sauce pan, bring 1/2 c. Butter, 1/3 cup cola, and 1/4 cup cocoa to a slight boil.  Pour over 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, stirring until smoothe. Add 1/4 tsp. almond extract if desired. You can also add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.  Let cool to lukewarm, about 20 minutes.  When the cake is done, pour the icing over the cake and let cool for about an hour before serving.

The lumps in picture are powdered sugar that didn't get smoothed out.  No nuts on ours because one of the boys don't like nuts and I wanted him to try the cake.  We also think it would be better with vanilla ice cream!

Breakfast: Van's gluten free waffles, orange juice

Dinner: rice, carrots

Snacks: cake! And popcorn.

No comments: