Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Gluten free oatmeal

I was surprised when I first started reading about what foods are gluten-free to find that oatmeal is not considered gluten-free. Well, technically oatmeal is gluten-free but is often processed around wheat and other grains that have gluten in them. Because of the high risk of cross-contamination, most oatmeal is not considered gluten-free.

I have a giant sized box of Quaker quick cooking oats. While I don't make oatmeal very often during the summer, oatmeal is a staple for breakfast during the cooler months. Thankfully I was able to find eggs gluten free quick cooking oatmeal. Bob's Red Mill brand has gluten-free oats. They also have non-gluten-free oats, so if you are shopping for gluten-free oats specifically, be sure to read the labels.



Breakfast: gluten-free oatmeal. It took a few seconds longer to cook in the microwave than the Quaker oatmeal does. The consistency is good and the oatmeal tastes just fine. I had milk and orange juice as well.

Lunch: we dined with the old people at Ruby Tuesday's today. I had the same lunch as last week; sliced sirloin, steamed broccoli, mashed potatoes. All listed as gluten-free on their menu.

Dinner: reheated gluten-free pizza from Uncle Maddio's from yesterday.

Snacks: almonds, grapes, a few gluten-free white cheddar rice crackers. I am not crazy about these crackers, so only a few at a time will do. I will not buy this flavor again.

No comments: