Monday, July 21, 2014

Quinoa pasta

Today's Gluten Free challenge is brought to you by Costco. Or at least by a product carried by our local warehouse store.

Costco carries a variety of natural, organic, and/or gluten free products. I found some quinoa, corn and rice blend penne, made in Italy, labeled gluten free right on the package. Sweet! A friend had mentioned trying quinoa pasta and enjoyed it.


But when I turned the bag around, there was an allergen warning that it was processed in a plant that also processes wheat. Sad face. So even though the products used to make the pasta were gluten free, there was the possibility of cross contamination.


Breakfast: egg white omelet, orange juice

Lunch: Sonny's BBQ sliced pork (no sauce), plain baked potato. The only difference between today's order and my usual order is that I ordered the sandwich without bread. Little did I know when I had the garlic bread last Monday that it would be the last time. I guess I am glad I had it; I never dreamed I couldn't again.

Snacks: TJ's granola, almonds, fresh cherries

Dinner: I was planning to make a pasta but instead opened a bag of Chicago Mix popcorn (certified gluten free on the bag, ingredients checked). Chicago mix means caramel corn and cheddar cheese corn. Surprisingly tasty together.

No comments: